sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] long description wrap in spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] long description wrap in spells
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 23:52:46 +0900

Bor Kraljič (pyrobor AT ver.si) wrote [11.10.14 23:38]:
> > Technically the discussion on this is a moot point, since we have an
> > explicitly stated requirement that the description in DETAILS be wrapped
> > to 80 characters:
> >
> > "The description must be aligned to 80 characters (no line should exceed
> > 80th character)." [1]
> >
> > [1]: http://wiki.sourcemage.org/DETAILS
> hmm..
> "This is the long description of the package. This should probably be less
> than 24 lines as a guide, but not required. This *should* be wrapped to 80
> characters. The text ends with "EOF" on its own line, beginning the in the
> leftmost column. " [1]
>
> And definition of "should" is based on [2] and [3] as just a
> recommendation.
>
> So... Which one is the right one?
>
> [1] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/DetailsReference
> [2] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Tome/DocumentationGuidelines
> [3] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2119.html

The link I posted is the official one. The [1] that you posted was
something that Donald Johnson was working on but wasn't completed and
never made it to any official "guide" status. Thus (as David Kowis said
in his post), the link you posted really should be updated to say
*must*, or at least indicate it's a work-in-progress or non-official or
something.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage