sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 22:25:10 -0400

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM, flux <flux AT sourcemage.org> wrote:
> If it modifies config files, I think doing the links ourselves would be
> better. What if it's an upgrade and the admin has his own config
> settings? Speaking of which, we need to mark the config files as
> volatile/protected/whatever so that if they are modified from the spell
> install state they are left intact on later casts. I at least modify
> texmf.cnf for example.
>
> The "proper upstream way to do it", according to upstream in this case,
> is to just install prebuilt binaries. That's not what we're about.

After looking at texlinks' souce,
http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Build/source/texk/tetex/texlinks?view=markup
, it looks like all it does is make symlinks. I think mine just messed
up because the config variables were set wrong (the variables provided
by kpsewhich).

At the same time, texlinks doesn't seem to do much. As such, I think
it'll fine to make the links ourselves provided we do it like Gentoo
does by reading fmtutil.cnf. Either solution should be fine imo.