sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 09:04:27 +0900

Ladislav Hagara (ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz) wrote [11.08.23 07:14]:
> > `gaze install texlive|grep bin/latex` is showing nothing... anyone
> > knows what's going on? :S
>
> When did you updated? bin/latex was provided also by deprecated tetex.
> Didn't you resurrect it or something?
>
> Btw, we should update texlive from 20091107 to 20110705 [1].
> If you miss bin/latex try to update texlive. :-)
>

> [1] ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2011/

You've completely missed the point. The texlive spell *does* provide
bin/latex, and for some reason it's missing on his system *only* (to my
knowledge, I've got it and so do several others). Additionally, tetex
has been deprecated by everyone (including the author of tetex) since
about 2006. Also, simply saying that texlive should be updated has
nothing to do with whether bin/latex is provided, since it should be in
all versions of texlive, so this would require a spell fix, not an
update.

If you'd like to update texlive, feel free, but please make sure
everything in it actually works as it should. The various TeX packages
are a complicated collection of software, and are quite difficult to
update without causing problems somewhere. Many people rely on them
working properly in order to do even basic things. For example, some
spells use parts of TeX to generate documentation. Others use TeX
directly quite heavily (myself included).

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage