sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:32:13 +0900

Sukneet Basuta (sukneet AT gmail.com) wrote [11.08.24 12:02]:
> I recently installed the latest version of texlive (updated the spells
> to 20110705 for texlive and texlive-texmf) and I'm missing /bin/latex
> as well. Everything else seems fine but I'm far from knowledgeable
> about latex. I really only use pdftex.
>
> I also did an install using texlive's installer (same version, but a
> minimal install). It seems to symlink latex to pdftex.

I just did some rudimentary looking around in the texlive upstream
repository, and it seems that indeed they have switched to symlinking
latex to pdftex (which is basically what I hinted at in another post
in this thread already). That may solve the problem in our bug #15918,
but may cause other problems (I doubt it, but we'd really have to test
to make sure). Also, this was just a first poke, looking in the Master
directory (which is already generated content). I currently have no idea
from looking at the monstrosity of sources in the repo where/when such a
link would be generated at build time. Perhaps they don't have anything
that even generates it, since they expect everyone to just install from
the binary side.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage