sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:02:04 +0900

Sukneet Basuta (sukneet AT gmail.com) wrote [11.08.25 10:38]:
> texlinks certainly does more than just make symlinks. I'm not sure of
> the full extent however. On my install it changed some config settings
> that messed up texlive, but that was due to using an unmodified
> fmtutil.cnf. I believe it's properly patched when the spell is cast.
>
> Gentoo seems to make the symlinks themselves rather than use texlinks.
> See
> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/eclass/texlive-common.eclass
> (etexlinks). So does OpenBSD
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/ports/print/texlive/base/Makefile?rev=1.50;content-type=text%2Fplain
> (post-install).
>
> If texlinks is the proper upstream way to do it, I suggest we stick
> with that provided we can get it working properly.

If it modifies config files, I think doing the links ourselves would be
better. What if it's an upgrade and the admin has his own config
settings? Speaking of which, we need to mark the config files as
volatile/protected/whatever so that if they are modified from the spell
install state they are left intact on later casts. I at least modify
texmf.cnf for example.

The "proper upstream way to do it", according to upstream in this case,
is to just install prebuilt binaries. That's not what we're about.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage