sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Separate "developer" list for admins?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Separate "developer" list for admins?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 01:08:08 +0900

Jeremy Blosser (jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org) wrote [10.04.09 00:49]:
> If something is on fire your first contact should always be to me. The CLs
> and several others have my phone number if I don't immediately answer on
> IRC--but no one from this project has *ever* called me about a down system.
> People continually just wait until I happen to see it in IRC, or Kowis sees
> it and IMs me. Sometimes I do get a text.
>
> Seriously--call me. Nothing should be on fire more than 5 minutes without
> me hearing about it, I don't care when it is. My job is systems admin,
> 24x7; I sleep with my phone for a reason and with all the stuff I have out
> there I get woken up often.
>
> But no, that doesn't need to go on the wiki.

Certainly your contact info doesn't need to go on the wiki, and probably
nobody will contact the admins immediately (though I try to when it
happens so that you're at least aware of what's going on and can know
what you're walking into). However, another concern is not whether you
will answer your phone, but whether you are unable -- you're in the
hospital (I hope not ever), you're stuck somewhere you don't have signal
(like in a cage for your actual job, probably you'd have signal but I
don't know), etc. In the event that something serious was happening and
people tried contacting you but couldn't, it'd be good to know who's
next to contact (the CLs should all know, but what if the CLs aren't
around either?). It's about multiple points of failure is all.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage