sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Separate "developer" list for admins?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Separate "developer" list for admins?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 11:59:50 -0500

On Apr 09, flux [flux AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> Jeremy Blosser (jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org) wrote [10.04.09 00:49]:
> > If something is on fire your first contact should always be to me. The
> > CLs
> > and several others have my phone number if I don't immediately answer on
> > IRC--but no one from this project has *ever* called me about a down
> > system.
> > People continually just wait until I happen to see it in IRC, or Kowis
> > sees
> > it and IMs me. Sometimes I do get a text.
> >
> > Seriously--call me. Nothing should be on fire more than 5 minutes without
> > me hearing about it, I don't care when it is. My job is systems admin,
> > 24x7; I sleep with my phone for a reason and with all the stuff I have out
> > there I get woken up often.
> >
> > But no, that doesn't need to go on the wiki.
>
> Certainly your contact info doesn't need to go on the wiki, and probably
> nobody will contact the admins immediately (though I try to when it
> happens so that you're at least aware of what's going on and can know
> what you're walking into). However, another concern is not whether you
> will answer your phone, but whether you are unable -- you're in the
> hospital (I hope not ever), you're stuck somewhere you don't have signal
> (like in a cage for your actual job, probably you'd have signal but I
> don't know), etc. In the event that something serious was happening and
> people tried contacting you but couldn't, it'd be good to know who's
> next to contact (the CLs should all know, but what if the CLs aren't
> around either?). It's about multiple points of failure is all.

I am OCD about redundancy, believe me*; my point isn't there doesn't need
to be two+ people to contact, but that until y'all start actually trying to
contact even one person (me) when you notice something wrong, that's my
focus vs. having a phone tree list. But like I said in the other mail, the
people with root on fawkes are me, Kowis, Bainter, and Josephsen. That's
the list.

*I carry two phones with different carriers, so I pretty much never have
unexpected lack of coverage. For expected lack of coverage one of my
cohorts always knows I'll be out and is on the hook more than normal (and
vice versa).