sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:05:28 -0700

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:35:28 -0500
George Sherwood <pilot AT beernabeer.com> wrote:
> Nothing requiring gtk 2.14.x that I know of, but I am absolutely
> against keeping this revert in the test grimoire. First it is
> against a process that has been in use the many years that I have
> been a developer and lead developer. Essentially we are leetting Vlad
> circumvent the process as he has done in the past. Secondly we will
> not get enough testing to understand how widespread it is among our
> developers/users. As far as creating a GNOME devel branch, IMO this
> will not provide the necessary amount of testing that we need for gtk
> which crosses many more boundaries than GNOME.
>
> I understand that this flicking when starting applications might be
> annoying to Vlad, but doesn't result in a broken system and there are
> workarounds to include him reverting the changes on his machine.
>
> I would request that we put gtk 2.14.x back into the test grimoire in
> order to more fully understand the issue vice sitting back on our
> heels.
>
> George Sherwood

IMO, test is for testing our packages, not specifically for testing
upstream bugs. ;) Flickering might be annoying, but depending on how
much flickering it could make it unusable (eye strain, headache, etc.).
Do we know of any patches that may mitigate the issue?

I have no issue with updating gtk+2 again, but what do others think?
George is for it, Vlad against it, and I am fine either way (I have
yet to try the possibly broken gtk+2), so I am not helping much. ;)

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285