sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: George Sherwood <pilot AT beernabeer.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:45:06 -0500

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 14:18:59 +0200
Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info> wrote:

> I'll repeat my thoughts and opinions from irc:
> - this discussion should have taken place before the revert
> - not everyone is affected, so the severity is not that CRITICAL
> - in your own words, most users use stable, so we should just make
> sure this is reverted in stable-rcs (until fixed), while test should
> stay updated
> - if it is really such a huge problem, I'm sure the respective
> developers will fix it in short time

There are my thoughts too. I appreciate that Vlad researched a problem
that he was having and was worried that it applied to a wider group
although no one else had reported it in IRC or via a bug report for
SMGL. I have been running the updated gtk now for days without seeing
any problems.

I also agree that it shouldn't be moved to stable-rc until more is
understood or the upstream developers of gtk and xorg come up with a
solution.

My main concern is one person making large reverts without involvement
by others in the community. This problem wasn't causing large breakage
and could have been handled more deliberately. As was stated before
this is how test is to be used and not as a version of stable that has
more recently updated programs as Vlad seems to want.

George Sherwood