sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: George Sherwood <pilot AT beernabeer.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:35:28 -0500

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:26:25 -0700
Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:

> Moving forward, Vlad, would you please open a bug report with all of
> the information you collected? That way we may track the issue and see
> how widespread it is among our developers/users. George, is the latest
> gtk+2 required for any of the updates you are working on? If not, may
> we leave it reverted until the bug is resolved? If so, we will figure
> out how to proceed (e.g. GNOME devel might just go to a devel-gnome
> branch).

Nothing requiring gtk 2.14.x that I know of, but I am absolutely against
keeping this revert in the test grimoire. First it is against a
process that has been in use the many years that I have been a
developer and lead developer. Essentially we are leetting Vlad
circumvent the process as he has done in the past. Secondly we will
not get enough testing to understand how widespread it is among our
developers/users. As far as creating a GNOME devel branch, IMO this
will not provide the necessary amount of testing that we need for gtk
which crosses many more boundaries than GNOME.

I understand that this flicking when starting applications might be
annoying to Vlad, but doesn't result in a broken system and there are
workarounds to include him reverting the changes on his machine.

I would request that we put gtk 2.14.x back into the test grimoire in
order to more fully understand the issue vice sitting back on our heels.

George Sherwood