sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: George Sherwood <pilot AT beernabeer.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:11:01 -0700

As much as Eric's proposal seems like a good compromise, George has a
good point in regard to testing.

This seems like a perfect item for a HISTORY entry for the spell noting
the problem with the bug.

If somebody is running on test, then sees the history entry. They can
choose to keep the spell from upgrading.

If somebody is running on test and isn't observing history entries, they
are responsible for their own problem.

a note that "This version of GTK with X version of Xorg with M driver
has been known to cause screen flickers on application startup. This
may occur if you are using test grimoire. If you are reading this on
stable grimoire, the problem will already have been fixed."

I'd prefer it simply be in bugzilla and test grimoire users simply learn
to check bugzilla for the spells, perhaps via an automated bug-check
script that examines your system and scans bugzilla open bugs, but we
already have HISTORY files where something like this can be noted.

We've had a long-standing policy that section maintainers have first
round of control, then it goes to the grimoire lead, then project lead.
The QA lead doesn't enter into this until it hits stable-rc.

This appears to have been a simple policy violation and George is in his
right to correct it. If Vlad disagrees, it's up to Arwed/Eric. In this
case, because it was a policy violation, I would expect a temporary
order to be to aggree with George at the moment until Eric decides to
hear and overturn it (if it's something where he agrees with Vlad).

Hopefully in the future, consultation with the section maintainer, if
the section maintainer is responsive, would be done before something
like this happens.

Seth

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 01:35:28PM -0500, George Sherwood wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:26:25 -0700
> Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:
>

> > Moving forward, Vlad, would you please open a bug report with all of
> > the information you collected? That way we may track the issue and see
> > how widespread it is among our developers/users. George, is the latest
> > gtk+2 required for any of the updates you are working on? If not, may
> > we leave it reverted until the bug is resolved? If so, we will figure
> > out how to proceed (e.g. GNOME devel might just go to a devel-gnome
> > branch).
>
> Nothing requiring gtk 2.14.x that I know of, but I am absolutely against
> keeping this revert in the test grimoire. First it is against a
> process that has been in use the many years that I have been a
> developer and lead developer. Essentially we are leetting Vlad
> circumvent the process as he has done in the past. Secondly we will
> not get enough testing to understand how widespread it is among our
> developers/users. As far as creating a GNOME devel branch, IMO this
> will not provide the necessary amount of testing that we need for gtk
> which crosses many more boundaries than GNOME.
>
> I understand that this flicking when starting applications might be
> annoying to Vlad, but doesn't result in a broken system and there are
> workarounds to include him reverting the changes on his machine.
>
> I would request that we put gtk 2.14.x back into the test grimoire in
> order to more fully understand the issue vice sitting back on our heels.
>
> George Sherwood

Seth Alan Woolley Pacific Green Candidate for Secretary of State
http://seth4sos.org/
State Coordinating Committee Member
Secretary and Parliamentarian Senior Software Engineer
2008 Elections Administrator Rich Map Compiler and Engine
Pacific Green Party of Oregon deCarta: Powering LBS Solutions

IANAL (I am not a lawyer!) TINLA (This is not legal advice!)

3403 NE Stanton St gnupg.org key 84317E6A = http://swoolley.org/
Portland, OR 97212 8C97 9818 F889 EDE3 B54C Cell: (503) 953-3943
USA, 97212-2744 03 AAD6 E936 BF83 8431 7E6A 45.5438 N 122.6295 W