sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:00:53 -0500

Quoting Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>:

On 10:23:16 2008-08-29 Remko van der Vossen <wich AT stack.nl> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 08:09:04PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> I like -profile packages, others don't. I like not having to know each
> specific GNOME or KDE package to get a "normal" GNOME or KDE install.
> Therefore I like the xorg-profile (since I wrote it I'm a bit
> biased ;)) for installing X without having to know, in advance, what
> available drivers are, or that I even need to remember to specifically
> install a driver.

Personally I don't like profile spells. But really, they're not in the
way. One can still the different needed spells manually if one so
wishes, disregarding the existence of a profile spell. So really I don't
see why it would need to go. It would be a problem for me if other
spells would depend on the profile spell instead of on particular
spells, other than for deprecation purposes of monolithic.

One bone of contention I do have however is that apparently quite a few
spells still depend on server when they should depend on libs. It is
perfectly reasonable to have a server with X applications and X libs,
but without an X server, that is what XDMCP was conceived for.

The one thing I would modify to profile spells is that they would get
dispeled after the cast... Since that would reduce cruft and because
in a lot of cases profile spells don't get updated.

I don't think that's a good idea. People don't expect things to dissappear after they've installed it. If they do a gaze version xorg-profile, it should show up that it's installed. It's not like the "cruft" of it is bad in any way. I think the alternative is much worse.

Of course, reading the rest of the thread, if we can accomplish the same as xorg-profile with xorg-server, I'm happy with that.

--
David Kowis
Source Mage Linux - www.sourcemage.org