sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:21:00 +0200

On 10:23:16 2008-08-29 Remko van der Vossen <wich AT stack.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 08:09:04PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > I like -profile packages, others don't. I like not having to know each
> > specific GNOME or KDE package to get a "normal" GNOME or KDE install.
> > Therefore I like the xorg-profile (since I wrote it I'm a bit
> > biased ;)) for installing X without having to know, in advance, what
> > available drivers are, or that I even need to remember to specifically
> > install a driver.
>
> Personally I don't like profile spells. But really, they're not in the
> way. One can still the different needed spells manually if one so
> wishes, disregarding the existence of a profile spell. So really I don't
> see why it would need to go. It would be a problem for me if other
> spells would depend on the profile spell instead of on particular
> spells, other than for deprecation purposes of monolithic.
>
> One bone of contention I do have however is that apparently quite a few
> spells still depend on server when they should depend on libs. It is
> perfectly reasonable to have a server with X applications and X libs,
> but without an X server, that is what XDMCP was conceived for.

The one thing I would modify to profile spells is that they would get
dispeled after the cast... Since that would reduce cruft and because
in a lot of cases profile spells don't get updated.

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies.
Ryle hira.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C