sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:34:49 +0200

On 11:53:12 2008-08-29 Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info> wrote:
> On Friday 29 of August 2008 05:09:04 Eric Sandall wrote:
> > Jaka Kranjc <jakakranjc AT email.si> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this really needed? Has anyone not transitioned yet? AFAIK the
> > > xorg spell in stable doesn't work (we even stopped reverting
> > > freetype2 in stable-rc), so even if xorg-modular isn't polished yet,
> > > it may be a good idea to include it anyway. I imagine most users
> > > want a recent version and the stuff currently on the wiki is pretty
> > > scary.
> >
> > I fixed that bug months ago and xorg works in stable, that's why we
> > stopped reverting freetype2. ;) It would still be a good idea to let
> > xorg-modular soak in test for a bit since this is a big merge and
> > things may not go as planned. I am sure some still have not upgraded,
> > and this forced upgrade is sure to show bugs, which I hope people
> > file.
> It works? I've heard many IRC complaints of the opposite, even without
> playing with hosts.def.

> > > It is only a noop for users of stable sorcery. And I question the
> > > need for the xorg-profile spell if it will be so short-lived. It is
> > > meant as a transitional tool, but how will new installs, new users
> > > get a good xorg set up? In my opinion we should just deprecate the
> > > old providers of X11-SERVER in favour of xorg-server directly. As
> > > far as those that wouldn't get the benefits of suggest_depends, we
> > > could just add a FINAL explaining you do probably need a keyboard
> > > and mouse driver and how to get them. I don't see a point in making
> > > a difference between new installs and switch-overs and only
> > > supporting the latter for a short while (we don't know when the
> > > switches will stop happening).
> > >
> > > The new stable sorcery should be out soon too, but don't let that
> > > stall things.
> > >
> > > LP
> >
> > I like -profile packages, others don't. I like not having to know each
> > specific GNOME or KDE package to get a "normal" GNOME or KDE install.
> > Therefore I like the xorg-profile (since I wrote it I'm a bit
> > biased ;)) for installing X without having to know, in advance, what
> > available drivers are, or that I even need to remember to specifically
> > install a driver.
> We can still have a profile spell separately - just not use it for the
> switchover. With suggest_depends we can make xorg-server like a profile
> spell itself. And there wouldn't be any need to remove that
> functionality or change it (like it is suggested with the profile one).
> And now all sorcery branches support that. :)

Well with stable now supporting everything I don't see a problem doing a
direct deprecation to xorg-server

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies.
Ryle hira.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C