sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <jakakranjc AT email.si>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:35:20 +0200

On Wednesday 27 of August 2008 20:40:05 Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> After that -modular should soak in test for a month so that devs can get
> painfully familiar with it and how to transition to it safely from
> monolithic xorg. Then the normal stable-rc -> stable way to go.
Is this really needed? Has anyone not transitioned yet? AFAIK the xorg spell
in stable doesn't work (we even stopped reverting freetype2 in stable-rc), so
even if xorg-modular isn't polished yet, it may be a good idea to include it
anyway. I imagine most users want a recent version and the stuff currently on
the wiki is pretty scary.

> Users affected:
> Anyone with any of the following spells installed
> xdirectfb
> xfree86
> xfree86-4.3
> xfree86-devel
> xfree86-libs
> xorg
xfree86 is still being worked on and even compiles. I deprecated
xfree86-devel
(spell from 2001!) yesterday and others are free to go too afaik (tried only
4.3). But xfree86 itself could stay. We don't need to target it specifically,
just have it as an option, like we don't care much about $scm versions of
multiversioned spells not compiling. The majority of users will pick xorg
anyway.

> Unless you have the spell on hold it will trigger a cast of xorg-profile
> which will in turn install xorg-server, xorg-libs and various drivers. The
> driver query will happen twice once from xorg-profile and again from
> xorg-server. The one in xorg-server is atm a noop and the profile won't
> exists for much longer once it hits stable, it's only a transitional tool.
It is only a noop for users of stable sorcery. And I question the need for
the
xorg-profile spell if it will be so short-lived. It is meant as a
transitional tool, but how will new installs, new users get a good xorg set
up? In my opinion we should just deprecate the old providers of X11-SERVER in
favour of xorg-server directly. As far as those that wouldn't get the
benefits of suggest_depends, we could just add a FINAL explaining you do
probably need a keyboard and mouse driver and how to get them. I don't see a
point in making a difference between new installs and switch-overs and only
supporting the latter for a short while (we don't know when the switches will
stop happening).

The new stable sorcery should be out soon too, but don't let that stall
things.

LP