sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO installation presentation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO installation presentation
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 18:52:52 -0500

flux wrote:
seth AT swoolley.homeip.net (seth AT swoolley.homeip.net) wrote [08.08.05 17:14]:
Alternative ideas:

1) make the lines output really slowly like an old teletype as if it were the good old days, slow enough to read as it outputs.

Ah, the good old days :-D. I'm not sure how many others would actually
enjoy this like I would though :(.

I would! That'd be so totally awesome!

2) use ansi colors and bold to highlight the prompts or titles

Have you used/tested the recent installer? We already bold. We weren't
using color thus far to try and keep it uniform for any users who wanted
to do the install on a terminal that didn't support ansi colors (and
possibly keep from garbling their display as well). But bold has been
there for quite some time now ;).

Colors would be nice.

3) use a pager like less that actually uses terminal pages (when it exits, it shows you what was there on the screen when it started).

This would present exactly the same problem. Depending on the option
flags passed to less, it will either clear the screen on exiting, or not
clear it, so the same choice would still have to be made.

Typically less doesn't clear it. I don't think clearing it is
acceptable, as users can type "clear" if they desire. I think that fits
with our "non interference" policy.
--
David Kowis

www.ronpaul2008.com - Ron Paul for President!