sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO installation presentation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: Bertrand Juglas <b AT juglas.name>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO installation presentation
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:14:00 -0700

Alternative ideas:

1) make the lines output really slowly like an old teletype as if it were the
good old days, slow enough to read as it outputs.

2) use ansi colors and bold to highlight the prompts or titles

3) use a pager like less that actually uses terminal pages (when it exits, it
shows you what was there on the screen when it started).

Seth

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 11:06:33PM +0200, Bertrand Juglas wrote:
> no-clear +1
> putting markers should be enough for mages.
>
> 2008/8/5 flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>:
> > I don't want to start a flame-war, but I do want to get a general
> > consensus. A lot of people have voiced that they don't like the way the
> > installer presents the "todo" information, that it is actually confusing
> > and hard to find the text the installer is currently outputting versus
> > what was already on the screen from before (since we don't clear the
> > screen first). I'm not opposed to modifying the behavior to clear the
> > screen, but it made me think. First of all, I know some users just plain
> > don't like having the screen cleared after they run commands (unless
> > they are explicitly executing clear themselves). However, more important
> > I think, it might make it easier for newer users to follow what they are
> > doing, since they can see the commands they just did if the screen
> > doesn't clear, and hence get a sense for the flow of the whole process.
> > However, if the screen isn't cleared, it's definitely harder to pick out
> > what's current compared to what's old, and they could get lost in the
> > text.
> >
> > What's the consensus from all of you on this? Please don't just answer
> > "clear +1" or "no-clear +1" or whatever. I would like some real
> > constructive feedback :-D.
> >
> > --
> > Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
> > Cauldron wizard and general mage
> > Source Mage GNU/Linux
> > http://www.sourcemage.org

Seth Alan Woolley Pacific Green Candidate for Secretary of State
http://seth4sos.org/
State Coordinating Committee Member
Secretary and Parliamentarian Senior Software Engineer
2008 Elections Administrator Rich Map Compiler and Engine
Pacific Green Party of Oregon deCarta: Powering LBS Solutions

IANAL (I am not a lawyer!) TINLA (This is not legal advice!)

3403 NE Stanton St gnupg.org key 84317E6A = http://swoolley.org/
Portland, OR 97212 8C97 9818 F889 EDE3 B54C Cell: (503) 953-3943
USA, 97212-2744 03 AAD6 E936 BF83 8431 7E6A 45.5438 N 122.6295 W