sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO installation presentation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO installation presentation
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 17:59:16 -0700

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:52:52PM -0500, David Kowis wrote:
> flux wrote:
> >seth AT swoolley.homeip.net (seth AT swoolley.homeip.net) wrote [08.08.05 17:14]:
> >>Alternative ideas:
> >>
> >>1) make the lines output really slowly like an old teletype as if it were
> >>the good old days, slow enough to read as it outputs.
> >
> >Ah, the good old days :-D. I'm not sure how many others would actually
> >enjoy this like I would though :(.
>
> I would! That'd be so totally awesome!

We should click the pc speaker (beep command does this) each time a character
comes up so it seems like a daisy-wheel line printer.

Then it would be usable in a "modern day movie" trying to show off its
technology.

> >>2) use ansi colors and bold to highlight the prompts or titles
> >
> >Have you used/tested the recent installer? We already bold. We weren't
> >using color thus far to try and keep it uniform for any users who wanted
> >to do the install on a terminal that didn't support ansi colors (and
> >possibly keep from garbling their display as well). But bold has been
> >there for quite some time now ;).
>
> Colors would be nice.

That's what I was going for. Also explaining shift-pgup/pgdn for scrolling
on
the terminal buffer might help too.

> >>3) use a pager like less that actually uses terminal pages (when it
> >>exits, it shows you what was there on the screen when it started).
> >
> >This would present exactly the same problem. Depending on the option
> >flags passed to less, it will either clear the screen on exiting, or not
> >clear it, so the same choice would still have to be made.
>

> Typically less doesn't clear it. I don't think clearing it is
> acceptable, as users can type "clear" if they desire. I think that fits
> with our "non interference" policy.

choosing less is interference...

Seth

> --
> David Kowis
>
> www.ronpaul2008.com - Ron Paul for President!
> www.sourcemage.org - SourceMage GNU/Linux

Seth Alan Woolley Pacific Green Candidate for Secretary of State
http://seth4sos.org/
State Coordinating Committee Member
Secretary and Parliamentarian Senior Software Engineer
2008 Elections Administrator Rich Map Compiler and Engine
Pacific Green Party of Oregon deCarta: Powering LBS Solutions

IANAL (I am not a lawyer!) TINLA (This is not legal advice!)

3403 NE Stanton St gnupg.org key 84317E6A = http://swoolley.org/
Portland, OR 97212 8C97 9818 F889 EDE3 B54C Cell: (503) 953-3943
USA, 97212-2744 03 AAD6 E936 BF83 8431 7E6A 45.5438 N 122.6295 W