sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Release of 0.10.0-test1 ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Release of 0.10.0-test1 ISO
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:39:26 -0500

Quoting flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>:

David Kowis (dkowis AT shlrm.org) wrote [08.07.16 08:17]:
Quoting flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>:
Is the z-rejected grimoire so terribly big that it can't fit on the CD?

It's not that it can't fit on the CD, it's that it would be
significantly larger for the benefit of just a single spell, which only
affects a handful of users. At present, I'm not ready to sacrifice that
much space to gain so little (not users, but spells needed). There's
also the issue of just not wanting to "taint" the ISO if it's possible
to avoid it.

You know, the compressed grimoire is 587K. So lets assume a really good compression ratio of 33%. So 1.5mb on the ISO that we're going to sacrifice for people that can't get online. Seems a bit silly to me.

Especially since you'll include ancient CD drivers for hardware that proabably doesn't exist for *any* users, but the iwlwifi is in quite a few intel-based laptops.

I think the issue of "taint" is somewhat foolish. Is it more important to have a "free" ISO, or to enable as many people as possible to install?

Obviously some measure of both would be ideal, but which matters more?
--
David Kowis
| www.ronpaul2008.com | www.sourcemage.org |