sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Release of 0.10.0-test1 ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Release of 0.10.0-test1 ISO
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:44:46 +0200

On 16:39:26 2008-07-16 David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org> wrote:
> Quoting flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>:
>
> > David Kowis (dkowis AT shlrm.org) wrote [08.07.16 08:17]:
> >> Quoting flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>:
> >> Is the z-rejected grimoire so terribly big that it can't fit on the
> >> CD?
> >
> > It's not that it can't fit on the CD, it's that it would be
> > significantly larger for the benefit of just a single spell, which
> > only affects a handful of users. At present, I'm not ready to
> > sacrifice that much space to gain so little (not users, but spells
> > needed). There's also the issue of just not wanting to "taint" the
> > ISO if it's possible to avoid it.
> >

> You know, the compressed grimoire is 587K. So lets assume a really
> good compression ratio of 33%. So 1.5mb on the ISO that we're going to
> sacrifice for people that can't get online. Seems a bit silly to me.
>
> Especially since you'll include ancient CD drivers for hardware that
> proabably doesn't exist for *any* users, but the iwlwifi is in quite a
> few intel-based laptops.
>
> I think the issue of "taint" is somewhat foolish. Is it more important
> to have a "free" ISO, or to enable as many people as possible to
> install?
>
> Obviously some measure of both would be ideal, but which matters more?

Free...

Anyway show me a craptop that lacks any normal ethernet port... I haven't
yet seen any... Hence why I have my doubts about wifi support on the iso in
the first place...

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies.
Ryle hira.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C