sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc 2.5/2.6.1

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc 2.5/2.6.1
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 00:55:31 +0200

Am Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:58:51 +0200
schrieb Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>:

> > > I mentioned this a couple of times to alley_cat since I thought he was
> > > working on this (kinda) you're welcome to use the headers I have [0].
> > > This is done using a script and auto-generates the tarballs.
> > >
> > > [0] http://dmlb2000.homelinux.org/pub/kernel-headers/
> > >
> > > You're most certainly welcome to use them they are made by simply
> > > running make headers install for all arches supported.
> >

> > LFS also does "make headers_install" and cp them to /usr/include [1].
> > Our linux-headers spell could create /usr/include/linux from
> > /usr/src/linux (our linux spell or just linux sources).
> > It might be OK just "ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux/
> > /usr/include/linux". Just testing, looks OK.
>
> Just so we don't repeat old mistakes, symlinking is not the recommended
> solution and hasn't been for years.
Every time /usr/include/linux as symlink is mentioned, I remember Linus'
rant on this topic back in 2000:

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Kernel/usr-src-linux-symlink.html

I guess the main point is still clear: No symlink, instead copy the kernel
headers glibc was compiled with.
Regardless of the user using linux spell or not; just including some (newer)
set of the headers that works as copy iun /usr/include/linux should do the
trick.

> when we go back to vanilla kernel headers, the glibc spell should use
> the headers in /usr/src/linux and afterwards copy them to /usr/include.

I think we should stick with including/preparing a tarball with the headers
independent of actually installed kernel.

> That said, I've been using the symlink solution for a while now on my
> system and haven't run into any major issues.

Well, one could delete /usr/src/linux (or move it elsewhere)... should one
expect the glibc kernel headers to disappear?

Alrigthy then,

Thomas (who is still somewhat puzzled about the current state of glibc
and kernel headers)