sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc 2.5/2.6.1

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc 2.5/2.6.1
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:58:51 +0200

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 01:55:09PM +0200, Ladislav Hagara wrote:

> >> Maybe we could create a linux-headers spell that would run the make
> >> install_headers target from whichever linux one has installed atm...
> > I mentioned this a couple of times to alley_cat since I thought he was
> > working on this (kinda) you're welcome to use the headers I have [0].
> > This is done using a script and auto-generates the tarballs.
> >
> > [0] http://dmlb2000.homelinux.org/pub/kernel-headers/
> >
> > You're most certainly welcome to use them they are made by simply
> > running make headers install for all arches supported.
>

> LFS also does "make headers_install" and cp them to /usr/include [1].
> Our linux-headers spell could create /usr/include/linux from
> /usr/src/linux (our linux spell or just linux sources).
> It might be OK just "ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux/
> /usr/include/linux". Just testing, looks OK.

Just so we don't repeat old mistakes, symlinking is not the recommended
solution and hasn't been for years. The headers in
/usr/include/{asm,linux} should be the ones glibc was built against. So
when we go back to vanilla kernel headers, the glibc spell should use
the headers in /usr/src/linux and afterwards copy them to /usr/include.
That said, I've been using the symlink solution for a while now on my
system and haven't run into any major issues. So if someone wants to do
the glibc change, I think it could go into test grimoire right away.

http://www.sourcemage.org