sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ledger and cron (was: Summer of code 2007)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ledger and cron (was: Summer of code 2007)
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:41:59 -0500

On Mar 06, Jeremy Blosser [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> On Mar 06, Juuso Alasuutari [iuso AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> > I think Ledger might be a good candidate. What I'd like to see in
> > Ledger2 is automatization. It really puts me off that I have to
> > manually send stuff over; call me lazy or evil, but I don't actually
> > use Ledger at all because I tend to not bother. I want to be able to
> > cast it -- consciously saying 'yes' to 'Do you give permission to
> > automatically send DNA samples to the Overlords at planet Vulcan?' --
> > and have it set up a cron job for itself.
>
> Before we can have any spells insert themselves into cron we need some kind
> of standard approach to cron. We completely don't have this now. We have
> several cron implementations that all install different ways, use different
> syntaxes, different crontab locations, etc. I'm not saying we should
> change however the upstream installs them, but we should have all crons
> optionally depend on run-parts, have cron/ directories in spells that
> contain entries that should be added, etc. These may have to be aware of
> the different cron system capabilities, but for basics the regular
> hourly/daily/weekly run-parts stuff should do.
>
> Maybe this is another one for some kind of 'config management' component,
> like was mentioned for init scripts, sysadmin scripts, etc.

Another argument against putting it in cron right now is that it appears to
not really track unique ids correctly or something. I just looked at the
status page for my user and I've got several boxes showing up 2 or 3 times,
with even the unique id and update times the same for the copies.

Ladislav, can we please get ledger into our git so we can help maintaining
it?