sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Summer of code 2007

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Summer of code 2007
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:41:01 +0200

On Monday 05 March 2007 23:20, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
<snip>
> > The init stuff is a possibility. So is ledger... I would really like to
> > see ledger in our scm repository. It's difficult for me to push it on
> > users or make it part of the install or anything when the project as a
> > whole doesn't really have hands on it.
>
> Ok, two confirmed candidates then.
>
> Ladislav, can you get the current ledger code somewhere public? Or send it
> to someone that can?
> What all do we want from this ledger2?

I think Ledger might be a good candidate. What I'd like to see in Ledger2 is
automatization. It really puts me off that I have to manually send stuff
over; call me lazy or evil, but I don't actually use Ledger at all because I
tend to not bother. I want to be able to cast it -- consciously saying 'yes'
to 'Do you give permission to automatically send DNA samples to the Overlords
at planet Vulcan?' -- and have it set up a cron job for itself. It could then
send an encrypted packet of data daily or weekly, and/or every time I cast
something. We could also benefit from other features like automatic cast
failure reporting etc.

Here's my feature request list:

- Cast and forget. Set it up once and it'll do its stuff unless you disable
it.
- Init script. Let's have it start on each boot.
- Data encryption. Some SSL pubkey wizardry to make sure our users' log data
is protected during transfer.
- Bug reports. A cast failure could trigger Ledger2 to automatically send in
the logs. They could be sent immediately, or stored and queued to be sent as
attachments with the next scheduled system report.
- Banking and credit card data. Just kidding!

I think I forgot some things I was going to say, but nevermind.

--
Juuso Alasuutari
[[ Source Mage GNU/Linux ]]