sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Summer of code 2007

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Summer of code 2007
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:53:22 -0600

On Mar 05, Jaka Kranjc [lynx AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> Don't forget it is a programming challenge, so I don't think there is much
> we
> could stir up for the grimoire (but I may be wrong). I'm thinking cauldron,
> sorcery and misc projects ((parts of) init metadata/init refactoring?
> ledger2?). It has to be something substantial, but not too big.
> Self-contained, we can't just suggest random bugfixing or improvements.
>
> So, any more ideas? Where's your project list Jeremy? I think cauldron
> specifically could benefit the most here. What do you think Karsten?
> I'm not sure if we could have any sorcery related projects as Andrew said
> he
> will be taking a break and I don't think we have any other sorcery
> authorities (I may be wrong though :]). What do you say Andrew?

I've been working on the project list... started a form of it for ideas for
the TX bugfix weekend.

I guess right now I'm skeptical we have something that fits. The grimoire
is basically day-to-day updating, as you noted. Sorcery would fit but most
of the big things are already there (castfs would probably have been a
great project for this). The cauldron work we need right now is
*simplifying*, not doing more advanced things. And we need doc work but
that's not really "code".

I definitely thing the SoC is an interesting thing and would like to see us
in a place to take advantage of it someday but our current focus is
"stability and repeatability" and I'm not sure that fits what they are
looking for.

The init stuff is a possibility. So is ledger... I would really like to
see ledger in our scm repository. It's difficult for me to push it on
users or make it part of the install or anything when the project as a
whole doesn't really have hands on it.