sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Summer of code 2007

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Summer of code 2007
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:42:24 -0600

On Mar 05, Jaka Kranjc [lynx AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> On Monday 05 of March 2007 20:53:22 Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> > I've been working on the project list... started a form of it for ideas
> > for
> > the TX bugfix weekend.
> So it has mainly lightweight stuff on it?

No, if I've got these people in a room for a weekend, I don't plan to waste
it all on just lightweight stuff. The current list for the wkd looks like:

project difficulty priority
spell updates via quill low med-high
new spells via quill low low
doc cleanup low high

doc organizing med high
quickfix bugs med high

high profile bugs med-high high
new spells manually low-high low-high

integrate git and wiki high med
implement another init high med-high
iso refactoring high high

Where "low/med/high" are very relative to the group I've got coming.
Probably the guys who aren't at all SMGL devs now will play in the top half
of that list, the rest of us will play in the bottom half.

The full project list I need to get together to track all the stuff the
project has going on will of course be different, but there is some
overlap.

> > I guess right now I'm skeptical we have something that fits. The grimoire
> > is basically day-to-day updating, as you noted. Sorcery would fit but
> > most
> > of the big things are already there (castfs would probably have been a
> > great project for this). The cauldron work we need right now is
> > *simplifying*, not doing more advanced things.
> Who said the project has to complicate the matter? Making things complex
> and
> obfuscated is easy, simplifying is the real challenge. And cauldron doesn't
> have only one tip, there are other things beside the installer one could
> work
> on (the test case bug comes to mind). But I'll let the cauldron speak for
> itself.
>
> > I definitely thing the SoC is an interesting thing and would like to see
> > us
> > in a place to take advantage of it someday but our current focus is
> > "stability and repeatability" and I'm not sure that fits what they are
> > looking for.
> I didn't find any text saying they are only after new feature additions (s.
> stricto), it doesn't necessarily conflict with our "stability and
> repeatability" goals.

If someone wants to come up with something that gets accepted I certainly
don't have a problem with it.

> http://wiki.sourcemage.org/InitMetadata has a good intro and even a spec
> draft - I think it is good enough for a start. The students have 3 months
> do their thing and I think this is enough to handle this as one project.

I would really prefer at this point that init refactoring work go more
along with the goals I spelled out broadly in a couple of mails last week.
I think the metadata is more than we really need right now and don't want
to see us fail to get anything done because we're fixated on that. But if
someone really wants to take it all on as a single project that actually
gets completed, it would certainly be good to have, provided it was done
well.