sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Summer of code 2007

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Summer of code 2007
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:25:43 -0600

On Mar 05, Jaka Kranjc [lynx AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> On Monday 05 of March 2007 22:42:24 Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> > > http://wiki.sourcemage.org/InitMetadata has a good intro and even a spec
> > > draft - I think it is good enough for a start. The students have 3
> > > months
> > > to do their thing and I think this is enough to handle this as one
> > > project.
> >
> > I would really prefer at this point that init refactoring work go more
> > along with the goals I spelled out broadly in a couple of mails last week.
> > I think the metadata is more than we really need right now and don't want
> > to see us fail to get anything done because we're fixated on that. But if
> > someone really wants to take it all on as a single project that actually
> > gets completed, it would certainly be good to have, provided it was done
> > well.
> I simply think that that is too simple for a SoC project. The metadata one
> may
> on the other hand be too big, so perhaps we should split it.

Well, the middle ground I was suggesting as a reasonable place to target
was to have a few inits available as spells, with their associated init
scripts available somewhere.

This potentially ties into the talk last week about a contrib area for
config scripts and the like and possibly some kind of new component to keep
config file sharing/management/automation separate from the package manager
or the packages. Maybe that's a SoC project. It doesn't have to be a huge
component, but it would be interesting to see the smgl philosophy applied
to config file management.