sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire bug fixing contest

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire bug fixing contest
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:31:57 -0700

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 05:03:32PM -0500, Matthew Clark wrote:

> I agree. Instead of a monetary prize, how about a SMGL shirt, mug, and
> hat? Even better: what if said item had a mention of the occasion?

Well, that was the original idea. But the response I got was that not
many people would be interested in pre-purchased gifts, like shirts. And
there arent many stores that ship to both continents, those that do
generally charge extra for oversea's shipping.

> read about someone suggesting a ThinkGeek.com gift certificate, which
> sounds cool, too.
Uhm....Yea, that was me...

except im not sure they ship everywhere, like i said. so the european
crowd might not find that very enticing.
<snip>

> Personally, on a project like this, I'm not motived by money (but
> perhaps some are). If I were competing, I think I'd appreciate an item
> more than just cash.

First of all, you're already working on smgl for free, so thats your
perspective, and isnt necessarily everyone elses...some people who
otherwise arent interested in smgl might get in the door with a contest
and decide to stay. If they dont stay, then we still get some bugs fixed.

Maybe other people see "gift certificate" and "money" as entirely
different things, I dont, I think of money as gift-certificates that
work anywhere. So to me its logical that the prize is just a universal
gift certificate. I guess theres more of a negative stigma on "money"
than I thought and more abstraction is needed.

Anyways, before we get another bunch of "i dont want money" responses,
perhaps we could get some useful feedback on prize suggestions. We need
something that doesnt overly exclude one region versus another and is
something most people would want. So far I havent been able to come up
with anything except money, which apparently people dont actually want
as much as gift certificates of equal value (you folks are weird :-) ).

Maybe gift certificates at one of several stores (some in north america,
some in europe)?

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |