sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire bug fixing contest

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire bug fixing contest
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:50:33 -0500

Eric Sandall wrote:
<snip>
> I think this is an awesome idea. When CafePress traffic picks up we may
> even be able to use that money to fund a yearly contest such as this. ;)
> If possible, I would prefer the bugs to first be picked from those filed
> against stable, then stable-rc, and finally test if we still need more
> to fill the bucket (with the above stipulations about black magic,
> INVALID, etc. still in place).

I'm not sure about that. If this really truly does pick up. we should
start anew with test. Stable and stable-rc are mired in integration
requests and obscure bugs. Most people use test, from what I can tell. I
would personally snapshot test down into stable-rc, then start the bug
fixing competition on that. That gives a nice clean fresh place to
start. We'll have the latest versions of software in there, so most bugs
will be "real" ones. It'll be the latest versions so there's more
interest in fixing them. And it'll be less confusing than working
through all the integration requests before starting the contest.

That's assuming we are cleaning out the integration requests before
starting the contest... I, personally, would.

> We may want to give them two weeks, since they will be submitting their
> fixes for review, which may slow them down if the reviewers are busy for
> a day or so (or it's a complex fix).

Obviously, this is going to be a significant time investment amongst not
only the people participating in the contest, but us, the Leads, the
ones responsible for this contest. We'll be the ones "judging" as it
were. I know there's no actual judging :) Just code review. None the
less, it will require time during this(these) "Code Fix Frenzy Week(s)
of Doom". :)

- --
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
SourceMage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein