sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire bug fixing contest

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire bug fixing contest
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:22:31 -0700

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:45:57AM +0200, ScaChi wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:56:58 -0700
> Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com> wrote:
>
> > We have many grimoire bugs piling up and not enough resources or
> > incentive from developers/users to help fix them all. As a result,
> > our release process is suffering. I had a thought to run a grimoire bug
> > fixing contest.
> ...cut...
>
> I am interested to help on fixing some bugs, not for this contest, but just
> to help
> as I really love this distro.
> I really don't know if a contest is the right way to get the bugs fixed,
> this distro is free - you devs are working so hard on it without payment
> and $ as a prize for getting bugs fixed by users.. don't know.. this just
> doesn't sounds right
> to me.

Im open to suggestions. But its just a fun contest.

I had originally thought of making the prize a gift certificate from
thinkgeek.com or something, but its hard to find an international store
everyone would want a gift certificate from. So instead I offer money
with the hope/intent that the winners would go buy geek stuff with it
rather than seeing it as supplemental income.

If I was offering true "payment" to fix bugs, I'd be offering a _lot_
more money than (what I consider) a token $100 USD.

> I did a bit of quickfix bug-fixing with perforce some time ago in devel? (I
> think) but had to stop
> it as I had/have some problems with my health and had to draw full
> attention to it.
> But now things are almost back to "normal" state.
> So if someone is willing help me to get me started with git by guiding me
> step by step
> through some bug fixing, I would be glad to join you to fight the bugs.
>
> So take that as a warning,
> I'll join #sourcemage in the next few days (this weekend at the latest) and
> ask some stupid
> questions (yes, I already read the sourcemage wiki page for getting started
> with git and have an account) :-)

Glad your interested in helping again. Contest or not.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |