sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire for deprecated spells: graveyard

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire for deprecated spells: graveyard
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:08:28 -0500

Jaka Kranjc wrote:
>>> What work?
>> Fixing obvious bugs with the spells, like bugs that are introduced with
>> new versions of sorcery or when something changes. Inter-grimoire
>> dependencies, ensuring that they still exist and don't go away.
>> Things like this aren't directly related to the spell, but to building
>> it. If I understand correctly, this is for stuff that still builds, but
>> isn't actively developed, right?
>>
>> There's probably a few other minor maintenance activities that I've not
>> thought of, but these are the few off the top of my head.
>>
>> David
> I disagree, the more the time spells spend in the graveyard, the more they
> are
> ready to be really deprecated when their time finally comes. So this
> grimoire
> would also have a cushion function.

We can just solve this problem by deprecating things. I don't see any
reason to put them in a "graveyard" when we can just drop them.

> And I suggest fixing bugs as a no-no and strict criteria, "you're on your
> own
> there". UNMAINTAINED spells. I want a graveyard not a zombie field.

Again, why even have it then? If it's going to be unmaintained, then we
should just drop it, not have this false pretense of keeping up with it.

> If something is old, but still used, then it has no place in there yet.
Agreed.

> I realise some choices will be difficult, as things aren't black&white, but
> we
> can deal with those one at a time. The number of dead newbies should be
> minimal after the first move.
>
> The whole point of this thread is to refine the criteria. ;)

I'm all for having criteria to remove a spell, but it should go directly
to /dev/null. If we're going to drop something, then we drop it. There's
no "staging" for dropping it. If this means we need some sort of useful
statistics gathering tool, then lets get the sources to ledger and
modify it to be more useful. Or write our own.

David