sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:06:33 +0200

P4 does use a smarter merge strategy when dealing with changelog-type

Yea, P4 is smarter and more suitable for us.
We are "free" now but with lots of problems.
Or only I have problems because it seems you all are happy with git.
Were you trying to integrate something bigger?

Is this the main thing you're talking about when you say "git's integration
is really horrible", or is there more to it? I have a hard time seeing how
'git cherry-pick <commit-id>' is difficult or worse than
'p4 integ {test,stable/0.5}/some/path/...'

For example I want to copy/integrate new spell from test to stable-rc.
In perforce it is only "p4 integrate test/abc/... stable-rc/abc/...".
In git I have to find out several hashes (no normal catchy numbers), for example it was not only one commit to test grimoire, what about hundreds commits?, and step by step cherry/pick them.
as modular as any other unix tool

In p4 I like I have two/three separate directories (devel,test, stable) and I can use normal unix tools to compare them or to work with them (diff, mc, tar, ...).
In git there is only one directory and I have to use "git diff" and get its a/... b/....
Why a/... and b/... and not test/... and stable-rc/...?
It is confusing. Mainly in sm-commits, what is a/ what is b/ ? Stable-rc? Which one?

It's been suggested before, and it's certainly doable, but the typical
response is that our HISTORY

It is not problem only of our HISTORY files.
What about example with DETAILS file https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-commit/2006-July/004801.html ?

What about my last commit https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-commit/2006-July/005030.html ?
Is it normal? It is really confusing.

And if you want to know what I am missing in our Git Guide:
"$ git clone http://scm.sourcemage.org/smgl/grimoire.git grimoire" create only "devel, master, origin, stable-0.3, stable-rc-0.4" branches.
How to get stable-0.4?
By "git pull -s ours http://scm.sourcemage.org/smgl/grimoire.git stable-0.4:stable-0.4"?
Why "git pull" updates only old branches but not new stable-0.4?

How to remove "stable-0.3" branch? I do not like it I want only new stable-0.4.
I removed it by "git branch -D stable-0.3" and after "git pull" it is back.

It is something like "p4 edit" in git to inform or to be informed someone is working on this spell?
And so on ...
Of course I am only novice in git.

--
Ladislav Hagara