sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:06:13 -0500

On Jul 22, Ladislav Hagara [ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz] wrote:
> Our Git Guide certainly need to be updated.

The last time you mentioned the guide you then asked about a couple of
things that are explicitly listed in the guide (cherry picking and
reverting). I asked if what was in the guide wasn't working for you, but I
didn't see a response. Is there something about those two examples that is
lacking? It's difficult to improve it without concrete feedback.

> I am trying to "integrate" some security fixes from test to stable-rc
> and stable several days already (when I have time and I remember it) and
> still I have only problems and always end my suffering by "git reset
> --hard". I am really missing someting like "p4 integrate devel/xyz/...
> test/xyz/...", "p4 client", .... Yea, it can be only my problem.

Tell us which specific fixes you're trying to integrate and we can give you
the syntax you need. Then once we all understand how it works we can talk
about if/how it needs to be improved.

> Of course we need more readable mails from sm-commit. I do not like git
> commit identifications, ...

The mails will get reformatted if we decide we're using git. It's going to
be pretty extensive, so I want to wait til we're sure. I plan to change
things like the order things are listed in, get directory info into the
subject (and verify it's in the commit message or add it), get info into
the headers to allow filtering, enumerate changes to keyrings, etc.

The hashes for commit ids aren't likely to go anywhere, that's pretty
central to git/monotone/other new distributed scms.

> As I wrote git can not force me to leave smgl. On the other way seems
> some developers have never used git.

We have 32 git user accounts set up. According to
http://www.sourcemage.org/developers, we have 42 active developers. Given
the number of these that are not really all that active, this is a pretty
good percentage IMO.

> We should probably vote on this. And as usually I prefer open voting.

If we're talking a formal vote, it would need a motion and a second, and
then the Leads (and anyone else that wanted to give their opinion) would
vote on it (openly). If you're talking about an informal poll of all
developers, that would no doubt be up to Arwed if/how to do it, but that
seems to be the gist of this thread already.