sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:28:52 -0700

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 12:08:53PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> On Jul 28, Ladislav Hagara [ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz] wrote:
> > Or only I have problems because it seems you all are happy with git.
>
> So far just you and Seth (and sometimes Andrew) have had some problems
> getting acclimated. These issues have mostly seemed to be around
> integrations and merges, but it seems to me to be familiarity problems more
> than lacking functionality.

Thats pretty accurate, the functionality is there. My issues were mostly
around migrating from perforce to git and including the changes made in
bzr (which included a stable release).

There were two major instances where I encountered trouble migrating
to git. The first was from not understanding what it was doing and the
second was entirely my fault because I hadn't imported stable from bzr.
In both cases git could do what I wanted, I just was expressing it wrong.
I most likely wont have to redo those same steps ever again anyway as
they were from migration itself.

As far as day to day work, I couldn't be happier with git. cherry-pick
works quite well, I find it easier than in perforce actually. In perforce
the commands to do it the way i wanted were a handful (not to mention
slow because of the remoteness factor), I wrote a script to do it for
me. Lightweight branching (git checkout -b <bugid> master) makes it easy
for me to work on lots of things simultaneously. I couldn't do that in p4,
I had to have multiple perforce tree's and remember what I was doing in
each and hope none of them overlapped. Or when people wanted to work on
big projects we had to assign them a "project branch", and we could only
have a few so as not to overly clutter the perforce database, thats no
longer a problem with git.

My opinion on git is obviously of no consequence to the grimoire team
since I dont modify spells. But as far as I'm concerned, sorcery will
continue to reside in git.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |