sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:40:18 -0500

On Jul 22, Arwed von Merkatz [v.merkatz AT gmx.net] wrote:
> we've all been using git for some time now, and I'd like to get a little
> feedback. Not so much about specific issues, though you are welcome to
> ask about them anyway ;), but more some general feeling like "if we have
> to use git, I'll leave smgl development" or "git will lead to world
> peace". Technically I think it can do everything we need it to do,
> though it'll probably need a few wrapper scripts to make some use-cases
> easier.

From an admin perspective it's certainly fine with me (no surprise there
I'm sure). The only issue I've really had is the current one around
merging the old temp git repository we're still using and the "real" one
that was imported from p4, but that's not at all a git issue. The import
had issues because of the p4 dump format and we had to put a temp fix in
place, and the implications of getting off of that have been complicated
because the two git repositories weren't at all clean with respect to each
other (conflicting commits to do the same fix in each, etc.). I've finally
bitten the bullet to start doing that merge the long way and will hopefully
have it done in a week or so.

Anyway, git meets our requirements for stability, scalability, and
supportability better than the others we looked at and arguably better than
p4 did. Ease of use is the typical first response to "disadvantages", but
I remain pretty convinced that's more an issue of people assuming they need
to use all the individual commands just because they are listed and/or
because they come to a new system expecting it to work like the old system.
For our typical use cases the commands are simple (I think the other
replies and the general guru acceptance attest to this) and for odd use
cases git's flexible enough to do pretty much anything. For people doing
simple spell maintenance who find even basic git too complex the cvsserver
offering should really do the trick and AFAIK is a feature unique to git,
though I haven't gotten back to setting that up all the way yet.