sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] wiki bio pages

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] wiki bio pages
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 17:59:41 -0500

On May 20, Jason Flatt [jflatt AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 May 2006 13:00, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> > On May 16, Jason Flatt [jflatt AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> > >
> > > The "Instant Messengers" column on the dev page could go away, also,
> > > since that information is in (or should be) the profile.
> >
> > Hrm, good point, I'd say please do that. That column is horrid on the
> > formatting. We could use that column for 'profile' or change the name
> > link
> > to the profile and use that column for 'wiki page' or something.
>
> I've modified the developer's page[0] thusly: I've removed the final
> "Instant
> Messengers" column (I had to modify quite a few profiles to make sure I
> didn't lose that info.) and added a "Bio" column in the middle (it seemed
> make more sense there). I've only really made changes for the Council of
> Elders section, as I didn't want to modify the whole thing only to get
> vetoes
> on it. I could also remove the "IRC Nick" column, since it's duplicated in
> the profile and Wiki bio pages, but I think, like the "E-mail Address"
> column, it should stay. Let me know what you all think about it and I will
> proceed.

I think the columns there now are the right ones, but I don't think there's
enough differentiation between the two columns that have the person's name.
I haven't come up with a better suggestion, though. Maybe "Developer Page"
instead of "Bio" and have it actually show the URL you're linking to. Or
have their name link to their bio and just have a profile icon that links
to their profile, though I really hate icons for things like that on web
sites.

The name/position/nick/email/page order makes the most sense, IMO. We have
enough dependency on IRC that "nick" is pretty critical information, the
link to another page is just "extra".