sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg-modular

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg-modular
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:59:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Andra?? "ruskie" Levstik wrote:
I don't see any clear reason for all these failures I personaly only
had one problem. DRI not working unless I built using libxinerama.

Anyway here's the plan I have in mind(just in case a space-time vortex sucks
me in).

Create the following spells in -modular:
xorg-libs - to provide X11-LIBS, remove X11-LIBS provider from xorg-server,
will provide for now the entire xorg-libs section until spells
have proper handling of -modular

You'll either need a different name or change the name of the
xorg-libs section.

xorg-utils - to provide X11-UTILS, add X11-UTILS to all monolithic spells,
will provide everything in xorg-utils section

Can't they just depend on those spells if $(get_spell_provider $SPELL
X11-LIBS) == "xorg-server"? More providers may annoy people. ;)

xorg-server - remove X11-LIBS from it's providers

Then in the normal grimoire to spells that need
imake, makedepend(mesalib) etc... only, remove X11-LIBS and add X11-UTILS
ase depends.

In spells that atm have support for xorg-server for providing X11-LIBS
switch that to xorg-libs handling.

I'll be making the xorg-libs and -utils spells tomorrow along with
adding the X11-UTILS provider to the monolithic providers.

My plan is to get a wider testing audience by end of june so
june 30th is the plan to integrate this into test. Note however that
I request that xorg-modular remains it's own standing devel only grimoire
in which work can be done without affecting the rest of the world.

If it goes to test then it'd also be in devel, so you'd have your
"develness" there.

Also this is a request to all mages:

All the -modular spells LACK any real descriptions so it would be nice
if you can find any and either fix it yourself or submit patches to
bugzilla - there is a xorg-modlar section there. I would appreciate if you can
add the descriptions yourself as there are 300 spells in the -modular
grimoire.

That's it for now...

Thanks. :)

- -sandalle