sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] policy docs, developer lists, jargon, oh my

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] policy docs, developer lists, jargon, oh my
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 18:46:55 -0500

To pull a few of these threads into one...

I've provisionally updated the docs on the web site with the new policy
info. This includes posting those new docs and updating the developer
list. I've also adding a Glossary with the primary Source Mage terms.
Rather than changing the vote-approved policy verbiage, I'm just using the
jargon terms on the developer list page and referencing the glossary
definitions to the policy. Arwed made a good observation on IRC that I
think sums up the reason to do it this way:

<@alley_cat> emrys: yes, organization, social contract, elections all are
things that require a vote
<@alley_cat> development policies, how we name stuff among ourselves, ...
aren't

Of course with the new policy anyone can call a vote on anything, but the
point is that votes are supposed to be a last resort when we need to move
things forward or want to change something fundamental. Let's keep the
terms and stuff in the other docs so we don't have to get them into "vote
territory".

Anyway, the URLs in question are:

http://www.sourcemage.org/DeveloperOrganization
http://www.sourcemage.org/VotingPolicy
http://www.sourcemage.org/Glossary
http://www.sourcemage.org/developers

I admit the developers page could use some more work right now. Removing
the Teams makes it a bit harder to list what exactly people do. If you
don't like how you are listed, please say something. Also, if you list
your email by the section you maintain, and you do multiple sections, you
are now listed as just one of them... if you want another email address
listed, say something (I'm not sure who all can directly edit that page
anymore?).

On a related note, the glossary also tries to clarify the different "mage",
"guru", "wizard" terms based on how the cloaks were originally mostly
defined. In connection with this it's been bought up today on IRC multiple
times that as more people become leads, they'll no doubt still want some
variety in what they call themselves. We are the distro about choice,
after all.

To resolve that question and get on with things, I'm suggesting we add a
few more cloaks/title so that basically each component has a general
developer and a lead developer title available, and then we can say that
you can be listed on the developer page and cloaked using whichever title
you want from among the components you have access to. Karsten can
basically manage our cloaks for us now (and is one of the ones asking for
this ;P) so it shouldn't be an issue with freenode. Proposed cloaks:

general dev lead dev
----------- --------
generic : mage -> elder

cauldron : wizard -> warlock
grimoire : guru -> ??? sage?
sorcery : wizard -> warlock
tome : ??? scribe? -> ??? bard?

cauldron and sorcery are the same because they're both about scripting and
that seems to be what they both want. For the other "???"s, I'm asking the
existing leads for those components if they have something they want to
use.

So then anyone could use the generic ones, and if eg Seth became an elder
he could pick between elder or warlock or (sage?) since those are the
pieces he works on.

Does this work as a "simple" solution? I don't think it would require
anyone to change a cloak they currently have, we basically have gurus and
mages working on the grimoire and wizards working on cauldron and sorcery
right now.