sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] project organization

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <swoolley AT panasas.com>
  • To: Robin Cook <rcook AT wyrms.net>
  • Cc: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] project organization
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:17:02 -0700

If I may add how I think of the issue:

The general developers position was intended for those who have asked not to have to vote on things to maintain their developer status. They just want to develop. Generally most people who want to vote will become a "Lead Developer". The bar isn't very high to become a Lead Developer. It is also an area where people can contribute but not have the full right to vote -- so they earn it. The model is "developer meritocracy" (intended to balance the two concepts), not democracy.

It's worthwhile to note that an organization of voluntary individuals should buttress itself against hostile takeovers. Not all takeovers are malicious, but by doing this the leadership that exists now can maintain a set of principles despite unpopularity effectively. Organizations that are founded on a set of principles instead of merely being "democratic" should restrict the franchise (input/power that changes the system, such as voting). In the actual political sphere, where you aren't voluntarily born (in a Rawlsian sense), the franchise should be as wide as possible, as in governments.

When we become large enough that we have to worry about being a force of oppressive power where people won't have a choice but to use our operating system and a Rawlsian philosophy takes over, then yes, a representative system is weak. I dislike the representative system for matters of politics as well, but for small, non-governmental organizations that desire to stay around for longer than a short, single-issue grassroots movement, you have to create some sense of a status quo for things to maintain some semblance of constancy.

Seth

Robin Cook wrote <<EOF
Don't particularly care for the representative system that the USA uses
either.

And just because someone is not popular or whatnot to get voted a lead
developer even though they may do a lot of work on Sourcemage their vote
should count.

You don't define super majority and is not defined on the apache web
page.

Also this is not a representative system as lead developers have an
unlimited term and as long as they are liked by the majority of the
other lead developers there is no way to remove them.

If the general developers votes are not going to count then all lead
developers should be able to be removed by a majority vote of the
general developers as well so that there is recourse for going against
the majority of the general developers.

CuZnDragon
Robin Cook

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 17:36 -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> On Apr 17, Robin Cook [rcook AT wyrms.net] wrote:
> > I have no problem with most of it except having no binding vote in the
> > issues voting if not a lead developer.
>
> This is the way it is today (no one gets a binding vote in non-lead
> elections except for the leads) and is typical of most representative-type
> political systems. ie, depending on where you live you typically elect
> your representative and then they go off and vote on your behalf. If they
> do a good job you keep electing them, if not you throw them out.
EOF
--
Seth Alan Woolley
Software Engineer