sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] voting process

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] voting process
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:46:28 -0500

Eric Sandall wrote:
- From what I recall we setup anonymous votin because some gurus
requested it (I do not recall which gurus or if they're even with us).
The point, which you seem to be missing even though several of us have
pointed it out, is that this thread is about adding auditing to our
current voting process, that's it. Also note that anonymous voting is
'safer' and has, at least in the past, been requested by our
developers with no one (with one exception) asking for it to be
changed.
My point is that it was a bad decision and if we're an accountable bunch (as we should be), we need to take a look back and reconsider it. This thread is a waste of time, but IMO it's only because original decision was wrong and we're now wasting even more time on devising complex auditing schemes were none are necessary. I wanted to stop that.

I think we've already done our 'poll' through this thread. We have
more than one for anonymous voting and one against.
In fact, in the the following messages, two people said they don't mind open vote:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2006-February/013412.html - Jeremy Blosser/;/
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2006-February/013418.html - you.
The concern about new developers expecting closed voting that you expressed before in #013418 is I believe unwarranted because it's not common to vote secretly in FOSS projects (and nobody contested that).

I do not believe that we will be changing our voting from anonymous to
public unless we have more developers who feel we need this, and if
more do, please start a /new/ thread about that so we can finish this
one.
This is my last post. Thanks for reading.

Sergey.