sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] voting process

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] voting process
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:53:35 -0500

Mathieu L. wrote:
Sergey, we do not contest your statement that open voting is widely
used, oftenly works and is usually the most efficient solution. However,
the point is some ppl would like some anonymity to participate, that's
the bottom line.

It's seems to be only a matter of time for these people to also ask for anonymous commits ;-). Is any FOSS project you know doing closed voting on leadership? I am trying to remember, but there are actually very few projects that elect their front people. I only know Debian, and they disclose votes on completion. That's why I questioned the reasoning of these people.

Hence, we have to come up with a solution that implies anonymity because
we respect these ppl and think it's their legitimate right to have that,
so why don't you try helping us to come up with this kind of solution?

Mathieu, it's not "us vs Sergey," I'm voting too, don't forget that. I asked why anonymity is requested. Avoiding intimidation was given as one reason, and being unsure of what to vote for is another (miss any?). For the first, the vote is closed until it's over. For the second, let people choose what to [not] do. If people don't vote, they're probably not looking to change anything.

As for the fact that we oblige devs to vote, I would tend to agree that
ideally it's not a very healthy concept but the way it's done here is not
that strict since a dev can miss a vote with no problem. And in our case
I think it's a rather good idea because we cannot afford devs to stay
passive in smgl as we are so few, weed participation.
We can start a separate thread on that, but I think we can very much afford to not make people vote. What we can't afford is stop making SMGL better. Those two things are not mutually exclusive, but I am very doubtful that since the time we have instituted mandatory voting, things improved.

Sergey.