sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Starting and Stopping critical services when upgrades happen

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Starting and Stopping critical services when upgrades happen
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:19:35 -0700

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 10:03:02AM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> <snip>
> > We can have the general defaults be:
> >
> > 1. Never Restart
> > 2. Don't Restart unless spell hints restart is safe <-- default
> > 3. Restart unless spell hints restart is unsafe
> > 4. Always Restart
> >
> > Hint policy: if it breaks both on restarting and not restarting, default
> > to not restart.
> >
> > init scripts could have:
> > UPGRADE_SAFE="yes" to hint that restarting is ok (won't restart under
> > option 1)
> > UPGRADE_SAFE="no" to hint restarting is not ok (will restart under option
> > 4)
> > UPGRADE_SAFE undefined hints that restarting is going to be assumed to be
> > not ok under option 2 (default), ok under option 3.
> >
> > Of course per-spell/during-configure selection would override this
> > behavior.
> >
> > I assume that takes care of most anybody's concerns (besides it being
> > "more work"/"too much choice").
>
> I'm assuming there'll be another Sorcery menu for choosing which
> default the user wants?

Yes, like the integrity checking menu.

> How can we define 'safe'? Shall we assume that the user has been
> keeping up-to-date with all the prior updates so we only need to worry
> about when ++VERSION changes config file formats and not worry if user
> is on VERSION-{a couple of revisions or a major release}?

Yes. It's only a "hint".

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733