sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] smgl-devel-2005071919

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] smgl-devel-2005071919
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:13:23 +1200

Hi,

I finally tried installing this last night and I ran into a few issue:

1) I couldn't boot with "install vga=792" even though I could boot my other partition with "vga=795". I only tried to boot with vga=792 once, it might be a problem with me.

2) Grub : when I chosse to edit the menu.lst the __BOOTLOC__, __ROOT__ and __KVER__ were still in there. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be there or not, but it could confuse people.

3) Grub again: After saving and exiting the above editing I got the following message: "Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time." And it does and I think it's because it should not look at floppy devices. I've had this before where I hade to include something like "nofloppy". The second time I did this, just before rebooting, I configured the bootloader again, chose grub, didn't edit the script, it went through but it didn't actually setup grub. I had my old grub on the MBR that I was able to boot from.

4) When I rebooted it got to loading "sysklogd" and it stalled for about 5 minutes, faied and then tried to load it a second time which then succceeded. I'm wondering why do we need a logging system as a default, should the default be "none" and is it necessary to configure the logging system at during thet install cd?

That was as far as I got. I did a rebuild though with no network and missing a bunch of source it didn't go well. But that's my fault not yours.

I think the new install is more intuitive, but I do wonder if there could be a quick install option, where you mount your partitions, set the timezone, set your bootloader, and the rest is defaulted and installed. Then you reboot and configure the rest. I've noticed the optimization stage is not a requirement. I would really like it if I could setup my install in 1 minute and install sourcemage less than five minutes, which is possible I think (on my pc).

This is just my thoughts and is not meant to offend or get anyones knickers in a knot.

Cheers, Duane.