sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Why simpleinit-msb ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Chris Dombroski <cdombroski AT gambit.gotdns.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Why simpleinit-msb ?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:51:51 -0700

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 03:35:16PM -0500, Chris Dombroski wrote:
> Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:
>
> >What can you do in sysvinit that can't be done in a simpleinit setup?
>
> Just to throw my two cents in, I have had no luck getting intelligent ups
> shutdown working with simpleinit.

I wish it to be known that this has nothing to do with the type of init
system. Simpleinit requires the same type of work one would do in
sysvinit for this.

> I have not been able to find a way to get the computer most of the shut down
> (mostly everything unmounted or mounted read-only) and then turn off
> the ups so
> that when power is restored, the ups turns back on and causes all the
> computers
> plugged into it to start.

I believe what you want to do is put it in the DEV runlevel and give it
stuff to do on stop() and make an empty start() function. That will
linearize it to happen after mountall.sh stops. We're going to be using
mountall.sh's stop() routine instead of simpleinit's as well since
simpleinit is not using an adequately powerful unmount process for all
filesystem types. I'm not sure how far along this has been done yet,
though.

You can also make the ups script itself unmount the filesystems, too.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Quality Assurance Team Leader; Security Team Member, Leader Emeritus
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Secretary, and Finances Chair
Pacific Green Party of Oregon - Peace - http://www.pacificgreens.org