sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Why simpleinit-msb ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Dragan Stanojevic - Nevidljivi <invisible AT hidden-city.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Why simpleinit-msb ?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:17:44 -0700

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 04:57:20PM +0200, Dragan Stanojevic - Nevidljivi
wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm new to this distro, but I'd like to help.
>
> I don't know the reason why have you abandoned sysVinit.

1) Automated init script handling required lots more code and wasn't
predictable upon user modification. Sorcery needs to be able to
optionally install an and enable an init script within the context of
user-installed init scripts. Sysvinit doesn't make this simple and
transparent.

2) sysvinit has no parallel startup capability

3) sysvinit has no inherent dependency information, which helps 1 and 2

> First of all
> simpleinit-msb is not longer maintained.

We maintain our version ourselves. I've provided at least one patch
myself, for example. The core simpleinit-msb is only a small fraction
of our entire init system. We're considering making it even more
simple, as well.

> It's successor LFSinit has not
> been changed since 01/2005. And not to say the reasons in
> WHY_SYSVINIT_SETUPS_SUCK file in simpleinit-smb tarball are childish to
> say the least. simpleinit demonstrates why sysvinit was created!

I'm not sure what you mean by sysvinit being more powerful than
simpleinit. sysvinit was abandoned for legitimate reasons.

What can you do in sysvinit that can't be done in a simpleinit setup?

> I think the sysvinit is a way to go. simpleinit is hard to understand at
> first,

And sysvinit isn't? Granted, I'm quite used to both styles, but
sysvinit is a hack implementation in search of problems.

> makes smgl boot process as complex as it gets,

Simpleinit init scripts are a fraction of the size of regular init
scripts and mostly backwards compatible except for a line or two about
dependency and runlevel information that were already included extras in
our old sysvinit setup. simpleinit merely formalizes what we were
including already plus adds dependency information for parallel init.

> and all SA are
> already quite familiar with sysv init. You're making smgl a lot less
> desirable because of it :(

Has it been causing problems for you; in what way does it cause problems?

> Is there some explanation why have you abandoned it?

Yes, as I explain above.

> bye,
> N::

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Quality Assurance Team Leader; Security Team Member, Leader Emeritus
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Secretary, and Finances Chair
Pacific Green Party of Oregon - Peace - http://www.pacificgreens.org