sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Why simpleinit-msb ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dragan Stanojevic - Nevidljivi <invisible AT hidden-city.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Why simpleinit-msb ?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:57:20 +0200

Hello folks,

I'm new to this distro, but I'd like to help.

I don't know the reason why have you abandoned sysVinit. First of all simpleinit-msb is not longer maintained. It's successor LFSinit has not been changed since 01/2005. And not to say the reasons in WHY_SYSVINIT_SETUPS_SUCK file in simpleinit-smb tarball are childish to say the least. simpleinit demonstrates why sysvinit was created!

I think the sysvinit is a way to go. simpleinit is hard to understand at first, makes smgl boot process as complex as it gets, and all SA are already quite familiar with sysv init. You're making smgl a lot less desirable because of it :(

Is there some explanation why have you abandoned it?

bye,
N::