sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Why simpleinit-msb ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dragan Stanojevic - Nevidljivi <invisible AT hidden-city.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Why simpleinit-msb ?
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:48:06 +0200

Hi all,

after reading simpleinit docs/examples, talking with some of you on the IRC today, and after I browsed a few hours on the web about the need for the new Linux init process, I can conclude that I was probably wrong.

Most of the not-so-well-known distributions are striving to create the boot process shorter, and the init scripts more manageable.

Simpleinit is but one of those projects, and although I don't like the way it is done, if is better than sysvinit I was for.

The problem may lay in the following facts:

- my install process didn't run very well, and all scripts in /etc/init.d/runlevels/%[123] were not enabled.

- reasons for creating simpleinit were written in a angry and ugly way

- simpleinit is abandoned in favor of LFSinit

- I don't like the script which runs the service and it's "needs" to be in the same file, but this is the practical approach, I know...

bye,
N::