sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] linux-new call

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Michael Leo Brown Jr." <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] linux-new call
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 18:15:36 -0400 (EDT)

>Hi David,
>
>I'm sorry if I will repeat something allready said or say something
>stupid ... I was not fully following the threads for linux-new and
>can't find relative info in messages I still have in mailbox.
>
>What bothers me about current implementation of linux spell is the usage
>of 'addon' kernel modules. I'm using two. nvidia_driver and own
>cisco_vpn module. If I recast linux, the modules are immediatelly
>recasted too. But immediatelly is too soon, since I'm not running new
>kernel yet, and the modules are recompiled for old kernel. I have to
>remember the modules, reboot, and recast them to get working system.

1) You know we have a cisco vpn client spell it's vpnclient if that is what
you are looking for just fyi... ;)

2) I know what you mean about the kernel modules not compiling against the
right
kernel this is a problem that is greater than the linux spell, the only thing
that can be done is go to each spell that compiles an external kernel module
and make it use installed_version linux to compile against, I'll be working on
converting the kernels and mobile sections over the summer to use the version
returned by sorcery instead of uname (which is what most of the spells use)

I know your frustration with this problem but this is the only real solution
for fixing it. And *nothing* can be done in the linux spell to fix this.

>I can see two possibilities, either remember somewhere that the modules
>should be cast later ( install queue ? ) or force their compilation to
>use different install directory. In either case, I'm not sure how to do
>that :)

The second part of this is what my solution is basically...

>The second thing is that once the module is recompilled, it dispells old
>version, which makes old kernel un-usable. If I am going to reboot to
>older kernel, I have to recast theese modules again. I would like to
>have the modules stay on the system for each kernel I compiled them.

A solution would be to have sorcery ignore dispel in /lib/modules

These problems are really out of reach for the linux spell. The problems
express more universal problems with a large subset of the spells rather than
a problem with the linux spell currently... :\

>So those are my wild ideas to give you some food for thinking ;)
>
>Thanks for your work

np I got bored one day so I descided to fix it. ;)

- David Brown

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com