sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] linux-new call

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: neuron <vlmarek AT volny.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] linux-new call
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 23:41:35 +0200

[...]
> If you want it to build a better mouse trap, find you the perfect women or
> perfectly grill a T-bone steak I need to know your ideas cause honestly I've
> run out of ideas... ;)

Hi David,

I'm sorry if I will repeat something allready said or say something
stupid ... I was not fully following the threads for linux-new and
can't find relative info in messages I still have in mailbox.

What bothers me about current implementation of linux spell is the usage
of 'addon' kernel modules. I'm using two. nvidia_driver and own
cisco_vpn module. If I recast linux, the modules are immediatelly
recasted too. But immediatelly is too soon, since I'm not running new
kernel yet, and the modules are recompiled for old kernel. I have to
remember the modules, reboot, and recast them to get working system.

I can see two possibilities, either remember somewhere that the modules
should be cast later ( install queue ? ) or force their compilation to
use different install directory. In either case, I'm not sure how to do
that :)

The second thing is that once the module is recompilled, it dispells old
version, which makes old kernel un-usable. If I am going to reboot to
older kernel, I have to recast theese modules again. I would like to
have the modules stay on the system for each kernel I compiled them.

So those are my wild ideas to give you some food for thinking ;)

Thanks for your work

--
neuron