sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Quality Assurance Team and Security Team Leader openings.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Quality Assurance Team and Security Team Leader openings.
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 13:00:47 -0700

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:59:13AM +0200, Thomas Houssin wrote:

> OK then a few words about me : my name's Thomas, 23. I'm french,
> currently finishing my studies (computer and network, major security).
> The security field I'll work on are the one Seth described (mostly
> security updates, security-related areas in Sorcery,...).
>
> I also would like to start a hardened SM project (we talked about this
> idea a few days ago) : adding additional options/spells to the distro to
> use the various patches and programs improving security, for example to
> prevent buffer overflow attacks or add ACL support, and document them.
> About documentations, I'd like also to begin some kind of guide to
> describe steps and programs config to have a secure base install (PAM,
> which Arjan already volunteered to write on ;) , iptables, ...).

Im going to voice my one and only concern, then I'll shut up :-)

Unlike most other things grimoire and sorcery related, on the security
team patches normally need to be applied asap, and its a bit of busy-work,
grimoire and sorcery updates are usually less time critical. Seth has done a
good job of staying on top of security updates and its usually quite a
selling point for us that we're about as up-to-date as possible. So I
just want to make sure that Thomas is aware of this and is committed to
stay on top of patches and get them in as quickly as possible (and/or
find other people to help). I think patches are a much higher priority
than enhancing spells and stuff.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |